Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2022     Advertise with us     


Watford teen behind bars for high speed police chase 

 Published on: 13th May 2019   |   By: News Bulletin   |   Category: Uncategorized

A Watford teenager was sentenced to 14 months in custody on Friday, May 10 after a high speed police chase from St Albans to Potters Bar.

Banned driver Tyrone Jackson, 18, was spotted in a silver Clio in Watling Street at half past six in the evening on April 16 this year.

St Albans Crown Court heard that a police officer tried to stop the car on a roundabout but Jackson, who also uses the name Kefeero, bumped the kerb and drove around him.

Prosecutor Charles Falk said Jackson, who had a woman in the passenger seat, drove off for 10 miles pursued by the police.

He went on the A414, swerving between lanes and reaching up to 75mph at the Colney roundabout, causing a Range Rover to swerve.

The Clio went at 90mph over the next roundabout before Jackson drove onto the M25 where there was a 40mph restriction because of a broken down car. He weaved in and out of traffic, driving at 85mph on the hard shoulder.

He came off at junction 23, going through a red light, before rejoining the motorway. He carried onto junction 24, where he swerved and exited.

A member of the public showed the pursuing police where Jackson had gone, and they followed him into Hill Rise in Potters Bar.

Jackson, jumped out, lost his balance and ran off through a bridleway where he was caught by a chasing police officer.

The Clio rolled on down a driveway, hitting a wall and fences before damaging a parked car.

Jackson told the police: “I swear my ban is over.” But the prosecutor said he had not taken a retest as he had been ordered to do after a previous ban ended. As a result, he was disqualified.

Jackson of Croxley View, Watford appeared for sentence via a video link from Bedford prison. He had pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified, dangerous driving and having no insurance.

In addition he had admitted possessing £260 worth of heroin and £200 worth of cocaine.

Mr Falk said an off-duty police sergeant was having a sandwich behind Guilford crown court at around ten past five in the evening on 26 May last year when he saw Jackson acting suspiciously.

The officer challenged Jackson who ran off throwing a plastic container on the floor. He was arrested and two wraps of heroin fell from his trousers.

Defending, Shelley Griffith said Jackson was a vulnerable teenager who had been attacked on remand in Bedford prison. He said his offences were linked to his immaturity.

Jackson read a letter to the judge in which he said he realised he had made “some big mistakes” and had “endangered peoples’ lives.”

He said he had grown up without a father and wanted to be there for his child when it is born.

Judge Stephen Warner told him: “Your driving involved a total disregard for the safety of others. It is pure good fortune no injury was caused to anyone else. It was compounded by the fact that you were disqualified from driving.” 

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Leave a comment



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.