Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2019     Advertise with us     


Watford man in court for Abbots knife attack which left teenagers hand chopped off 

 Published on: 7th August 2019   |   By: Jason Allen   |   Category: Uncategorized

A teenager’s hand was chopped off in a “savage” knife attack as he curled up on a grass verge to protect himself in Long Elms, Abbots Langley, a jury heard.

Tyler Stevens, was 18, when he was struck six or seven times by the blade in February this year, with one blow completely severing his left hand.

The hand was found later in the street later by a police officer.

Doctors tried to reattach it, but their efforts came to nothing, St Albans Crown Court was told yesterday (August 7).

The prosecution allege the knifeman was Che Ambe, 21, of Caractacus Cottage View, Watford, who denies causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Prosecutor Simon Wilshire told the jury of 6 men and 6 women how the victim, who is now 19, had been at a friends house in Abbots Langley before they went to a local shop.

They were on the way back to the house when a moped ridden by Che Ambe approached them.

Mr Wilshire said all three knew each other and did not get on. As soon as they saw Che Ambe, the  other two started to run. The friend ran to his home, but Tyler Stevens slipped.

“He got up and ran between two vans, but slipped again. He fell onto the grass verge. Che Ambe started attacking him with a machete or a similar weapon.

“He was hit some six or seven times as he was curled up on the ground, trying to defend himself.

“The attack was as brief as it was savage – one completely severed Tyler Steven’s left hand,” said Mr Wilshire.

Tyler Stevens did not realise his hand was severed until the attack stopped and Che Ambe fled, said the prosecutor.

The victim made his was to his friend’s house and the emergency services were called.

Another officer found a knife on the opposite side of the road.

This knife was not the one used to attack Tyler Stevens, but was one the victim said he was carrying for his own protection.

Tyler Stevens told the police that the recovered knife must have fallen from the waistband of his trousers as his ran.

Che Ambe was spotted afterwards on a moped and was arrested after the police deployed a ‘stinger,’ which punctured its tyres.

The prosecutor said that when questioned the next day, Che Ambe said he was not there.

But the jury was told that in a defence statement he now says he was acting in self-defence after Tyler Stevens produced a knife and waved it at him.

Case proceeding.

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Leave a comment



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.