Police in Hertsmere are asking drivers to consider some simple crime prevention advice following a number of thefts from vehicles in Radlett and Bushey.
Most offences are taking place overnight with items such as bags, laptops, cash and wallets being stolen from cars and tools stolen from vans.
A number of catalytic converters have also been stolen from underneath cars.
The majority of the thefts from vehicles in Radlett and Bushey have targeted insecure vehicles.
Here are the top ten Operation Chariot tips to help you protect your vehicle and the property within it:
- Lock the doors and shut the windows and sunroof whenever you leave your vehicle unattended.
- Always take the keys out of the ignition, even if you’re only leaving the car briefly.
- Be aware of your keys. Don’t leave them lying around or make them visible.
- Never leave any valuables in your vehicle – not even in the glovebox or boot, and keep all other possessions out of sight.
- Remove your sat nav and its holder and wipe away any suction marks as these could suggest to a potential thief that a sat nav is stored in your vehicle.
- Never leave vehicle documents in your car.
- Use an approved steering lock or gear clamp, and remember to set your immobiliser and alarm if you have them.Consider buying locking screws kits to secure number plates which are targeted by criminals.
- Register your stereo, laptop, sat nav and any other property on the free online property database immobilise.com.
- If you advertise your vehicle for sale on an online website, ensure that its number plates are covered over when photographed to avoid cloning of its identity.