Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2022     Advertise with us     


KNOCKED OUT: Saints falter against dominant Boreham Wood side in televised FA Cup bout

 Published on: 7th December 2021   |   By: Bryn Holmes   |   Category: Uncategorized

Despite giving a spirited performance, St Albans were blown away by local rivals Boreham Wood in a 4-0 routing, exiting the FA Cup in its second round.

Though the first half featured several opportunities for the Saints, such as a header from Joy Mukena that went just over, it was the Wood who dominated the opening 10 minutes.

A defensive error from City cost them dearly at the 25-minute mark, as Boreham’s Josh Rees took advantage of it to put his side in front, though it appeared on replay that the goal may have been offside.

Though they were now on the back foot, it was St Albans who then dominated play in the remainder of the first half, looking for an elusive equaliser.

A crossbar header from Dave Diedhiou could have changed the game had it gone in, but the Saints remained one nil down at the halfway point.

From then on, Boreham Wood began to turn up the heat. Josh Rees scored his second goal of the night quickly after play started again, thanks to a well-placed cross from Kane Smith.

A third goal for the Wood followed soon after, another header, this time from Gus Mafuta.

Boreham then put any doubts fans might have had to bed with nine minutes to go, as substitute Adrian Clifton scored close-range to make it 4-0.

Though it can’t be argued with that the home side dominated the proceedings, the Saints can still be proud of a positive performance where they responded well, but just couldn’t find the right opportunity, finding themselves outclassed by Boreham Wood.

The match was televised on ITV4, a rarity for both clubs.

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Leave a comment



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Advertise with our magazine