Harrow Council is taking action after a “death trap” flat in Rayners Lane was discovered by housing enforcement officers last month.
The tenants were found to be living in “squalid” conditions without windows or ventilation. There were also “dodgy” electrics, as well as a mice infestation.
Eight people were living in the flat, sharing one small bathroom and a kitchen. They were paying between £250 to £500 a week in rent.
Mice droppings were found across the flat and there were broken, exposed and overloaded sockets. The electrics were last checked in 2020 and the washing machine was connected to a broken socket.
Councillor Anjana Patel, Harrow Council’s cabinet member for environment and community safety, said: “Thankfully, our officers discovered this dangerous property before a potential tragedy could have occurred. Allowing people to live in properties like this is reckless, and we are coming after rogue landlords who put profit before people.
“We’ve pledged to take tougher enforcement action to keep our residents safe and will bring the law onto those who are renting properties in squalid conditions.”