A hugely controversial planning proposal which was previously rejected could still go ahead as the application is taken to the High Court.
Developers Redrow had submitted a proposal for 310 homes at Harts Farm on Little Bushey Lane, with land reserved for a new school and community facilities. The plans received more than 3,300 objections on the Hertsmere Borough Council (HBC) planning portal.
After HBC rejected the plans in February, the applicants appealed the decision. The application was rejected again on July 20.
Members of the Little Bushey Community (LBC), which was established to protect the local green belt, were euphoric after five years of campaigning against the plans.
Celebrations were halted, however, as Redrow announced last month that they would be taking the unpopular application to the High Court.
Councillor for Bushey Park Maxie Allen said: “The Planning Inspector’s ruling should have been the end of the story – and it’s outrageous Redrow won’t take no for an answer.
“The High Court must now treat their appeal with the contempt it deserves.”
A spokesperson for LBC stated: “[Redrow] allege that the [Planning Inspector] misinterpreted the words ‘appropriate for the proposed development’ when assessing whether there were alternative sites with a lower flood risk which could be used. They further claim that her use of ‘reasonably available’ in relation to alternatives was wrong in law and that she failed to have regard to housing need in the borough.
“A source close to Redrow – who are believed to have spent well in excess of £500,000 staging the appeal – told LBC that they believed chairman Steve Morgan was prepared to spend ‘almost anything’ to secure development of the site.”
Redrow has been contacted for comment.
Photo Credit: Little Bushey Community