The teenager cleared by a jury in April of the murder of Koy Bentley has returned to court for having a mobile phone in his cell as he waited for his trial.
The 16 year old had the phone while he was on remand at Feltham Young Offenders Institute.
It was discovered by a prison officer on January 24 this year.
On Tuesday, June 26 St Albans crown court was told that the boy had the phone not to pursue criminal activities, but to simply keep in touch with family and friends.
The teenager, who can’t be named, appeared in the dock to admit to possessing a mobile phone in a prison establishment without authority.
In May he had been given a 12 month Youth Rehabilitation Order after admitting to being part of a conspiracy with 15 year old Koy from Watford and another man to supply heroin and cocaine from a Watford drug den in June 2017.
During his murder trial in April of this year, the prosecution alleged the teenager had stabbed Koy to death during a sudden disagreement at the flat.
But when he gave evidence, the youth said it wasn’t him who had stabbed Koy, but 22 year old Abdi Ali, who had been in the flat that afternoon and was part of the conspiracy to supply class A drugs from the flat they had “cuckooed.”
At the teenager’s trial Ali, who was called as a witness for the prosecution, told the jury it was the 16 year old who had carried out the killing.
Ali was jailed for 16 months after admitting to being part of the conspiracy with the 16 year old and Koy to supply heroin and crack cocaine from the flat in Water Lane near the town centre in Watford.
The court was told that at the time of the killing the 16 year old had been caught up in gang culture in London.
Following his acquittal for the murder in April, the teenager was sentenced the following month for the drugs supply conspiracy.
Trial Judge Andrew Bright QC said that in sentencing the teenager, he had to bear in mind his age and the fact that he had been in custody on remand for 11 and a half months, which was the equivalent of a two year custodial term.
Judge Bright said the 16 year old had shown a willingness to engage with the Youth Offending Service while in custody and he said: “There is nothing to be gained from the public’s point of view for keeping you locked up any longer.”
The judge said he wanted to keep the teenager “on the straight and narrow” and said he hoped that once at liberty he wouldn’t return to the world of gangs and drug dealing.
In addition to a 12 month Youth rehabilitation order, the boy was also be subject to 12 months supervision with a 30 day community reparation requirement.
On Tuesday when the boy appeared back before the judge for possessing the phone, the judge said he was pleased to learn that the youngster was determined to stay away from gangs.
Judge Bright said phones were common in prison establishments and often used by offenders to continue in criminal activities.
But he said in the case of the teenager it appeared he had been using the phone to call his family and friends.
He said he would revoke the previous 12 month Youth Rehabilitation Order and change it to one of 16 months.
In addition he told the boy he would be subject to a home curfew between the hours of 9pm to 7am to run from now until the middle of August.