Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2022     Advertise with us     


STARR MAN: Late drama again as Watford claim three points against Coventry

 Published on: 7th November 2020   |   By: Geraint Roberts   |   Category: Watford FC

Watford FC have moved into second place in the Championship after a five-goal thriller at Vicarage Road saw them beat Coventry City 3-2, and it was a late winner once again from the Senegalese international Ismaila Sarr.

Both sides led the game at different stages in the second half, but it was Watford who stole all three points at the death from the penalty spot.

Vlladimir Ivic named three changes from the side that beat Stoke City on Wednesday night, bringing in William Troost-Ekong, James Garner and Andre Gray for Ben Wilmot, Nathaniel Chalobah and Joao Pedro.

Sarr was looking dangerous in the early stages of the game after he whipped in a dangerous cross for Tom Cleverley to attack, but the former England international’s effort went over the bar.

Coventry’s first real chance of the game came on the 23rd minute after Biamou got on the end of Giles’ cross, but his header somehow went wide of Ben Foster’s goal.

Christian Kabasele denied Coventry another certain goal when Biamou once more had the chance to put them ahead, but a last-ditch block from the Belgian kept the score level.

The second half started in the perfect fashion for the Hornets when Ken Sema provided yet another assist for the opening goal after his cross found Gray in acres of space and he made no mistake to get his first goal of the season.

Coventry found themselves level just over 10 minutes later though on the 63rd minute when Gustavo Hamer somehow scored a header from around 25-yards out after the effort looped over Foster and into the Watford net.

A minute later, Coventry found themselves in front after Hamer’s ball was flicked on by Biamou straight into the path of Walker and his effort was smashed beyond Foster.

The action didn’t stop there, though, and two minutes later James Garner’s whipped in cross from a corner found Troost-Ekong who leaped above his marker to head home the equaliser.

With just over five minutes to go, Watford were awarded a penalty after O’Hare was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box allowing Sarr to step up and tuck the spot-kick home.

Watford held on for another big result which sees them move up to second in the table and into the automatic promotion places, and just one point behind leaders Reading, before the international break.

Next up for the Hornets is an away trip on November 21 to Queens Park Rangers who were defeated 3-1 today against Blackburn Rovers.

Picture credit: Watford FC

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Leave a comment



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.