Thousands of pounds’ worth of drugs were destroyed in a fire at a Hemel Hempstead pharmacy last night.
Appointments at the adjoining Bennetts End Surgery were cancelled because of the blaze, which is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.
A member of staff said they did not know how long it would be before the pharmacy could reopen.
Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “We were called at 10:08pm yesterday to reports of a fire at Bennets End Surgery in Gatecroft, Hemel Hempstead.
Four fire engines, from Hemel Hempstead, Garston and St Albans fire stations, were sent to the scene, where crews found smoke issuing from the roof of the building.
“Firefighters gained entry to the building and extinguished the fire, before ventilating the building to clear the smoke and making the scene safe. The fire is believed to have started accidentally.”