Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2022     Advertise with us     


MURDER TRIAL: Recording of Watford man’s killing played in court

 Published on: 28th November 2023   |   By: News Bulletin   |   Category: Uncategorized

The jury in a murder trial listened to a recording of the attack at St Albans Crown Court today (Tuesday, November 28).

Husnein Amjad, 23, is accused of the murder of his father Amjad Hussain at the family home in Fuller Road, Watford, on October 28, 2021.

Prosecutor Wayne Cleaver said the fact that Amjad had killed his father was not disputed as he had pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

He said: “The defendant has abandoned any suggestion that his father’s death was an accident, or was done in self defence. Instead, he now claims that the killing occurred during a loss of self control, which reduces his actions from murder to manslaughter.”

On the day of Amjad Hussain’s death, Husnein Amjad’s mother had put her mobile phone on audio record when she left the house because there were rumours that her husband had married another woman while he was away in Pakistan.

The jury was told detectives had been “completely unaware” of the recording until January this year. In July, forensics analysts gained access to the phone and were able to retrieve the recording. Today, the jury donned headphones to listen to it.

Earlier, Mr Cleaver had told the court: “It [the recording] captures events over about 50 minutes during which time sounds can clearly be heard consistent with his father being hit and kicked, groaning as if semi-conscious and in pain.”

The jury heard how the victim had been in Pakistan since August 2020, his return having been delayed by family issues and COVID-19.

He was collected from Heathrow Airport on October 27 and the family ate together in the evening, with all seeming well.

But the next day, Amjad phoned his sister and said: “Listen, I’ve done something stupid. Call the ambulance. I’m gonna hand myself in…”

Asked what he was talking about, he replied: “I’m sorry, it was self defence,” adding, “Think of the worst thing I could have possibly done.”

Police and paramedics arrived at the house and tried in vain to resuscitate Mr Hussain, who was pronounced dead at 7.02pm.

Shortly beforehand, Amjad handed himself in at Watford Police Station, where he was arrested for attempted murder.

The cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head, chest and abdomen.

The trial continues.

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Leave a comment



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.