Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2022     Advertise with us     


LATE COLLAPSE: Wealdstone undone by late Stockport blitz 

 Published on: 14th October 2020   |   By: Geraint Roberts   |   Category: Wealdstone F.C

Wealdstone were beaten 5-2 at the hands of Stockport County in their first home match of the season last night, despite leading up until the 77th minute.

The Stones took the lead themselves early in the second half and managed to keep Stockport out until the last 15 minutes, but a late collapse saw Dean Brennan’s men take nothing away from the game.

After picking up just a point from their first two away games of the season, Wealdstone would have been glad to return to Grosvenor Vale for their first competitive game there since March.

It was a positive start for the Stones, and they got the early goal they deserved on the 17th minute after Michee Efete crossed the ball from the right towards the back post, where Jorome Slew was at hand to head home.

However, the lead didn’t last long, with the brother of Wayne Rooney, John, equalising just six minutes later from the penalty spot after the referee spotted a handball in the area.

Nothing separated the two sides at the break, but the Stones quickly changed that after the restart when Jacob Mendy’s cross found Ross Lafayette in the box who made no mistake with his expertly taken finish which found the bottom corner of Stockport’s goal.

Stockport improved massively in the final 20 minutes, and the equaliser looked to have come on the 73rd minute when Ashley Palmer towered above the Stones’ defence to powerfully header the ball towards the top corner, but Harry Isted denied him brilliantly. 

Just five minutes later, though, Richie Bennet was found in the box after Mark Kitching’s cut-back, and his first-time finish levelled procedures with just over 10 minutes to go.

Almost instantly, Stockport went ahead after a free kick was floated towards the far post, and Lois Maynard was at hand to hammer the ball beyond Isted to give County the lead.

Wealdstone looked to have collapsed at this point and Stockport added a fourth goal on the 84th minute after a well-worked corner found Rooney who then scored his second goal of the game.

Rooney completed his hat trick on the 88th minute and put the game beyond any doubt with a strike from the edge of the area.

It was a case of what could have been for the Stones in the end, as they continue to search for their first victory of the season. 

Wealdstone are back in action on Saturday afternoon where they welcome North Wales side Wrexham to Grosvenor Vale.

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Leave a comment



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.