Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2022     Advertise with us     


DAMAGING DEFEAT: Watford hopes dampened after defeat at Manchester United

 Published on: 23rd February 2020   |   By: Geraint Roberts   |   Category: Watford FC

Watford lost 3-0 against Manchester United at Old Trafford on February 23 as The Hornets’ winless run stretches to five games.

Nigel Pearson made one change to the side that lost against Everton a fortnight ago, with Craig Dawson replacing Adrian Mariappa.

Tom Cleverley and Ismaila Sarr were both named on the bench as the duo both returned from injuries.

Watford had the first good chance of the game after a mix up in United’s defence.

Troy Deeney picked up the loose ball and could have had a clear attempt on goal if it wasn’t for Luke Shaw’s last-ditch tackle.

The home side could have gone in front on the 17th minute when Ben Foster could only parry Dan James’ tame effort, Wan Bissaka got onto the rebound but his effort hit the side netting.

Abdoulaye Doucoure brought David De Gea into action for the first time on the 30th minute when the Frenchman broke free on the left-hand side to get a shot away, but the Spanish goalkeeper did well to tip it wide.

Manchester United should have gone ahead on the 38th minute when Daniel James laid the ball off for Fred to shoot from just outside the box, but the midfielder got the shot completely wrong.

The goal did come for the home side just a few moments later though when Ben Foster brought down Bruno Fernandes in Watford’s penalty area. Fernandes stepped up and coolly slotted the spot-kick beyond Foster.

A few minutes into the second half, the Watford fans were celebrating what they thought was the equaliser when Deeney tapped the ball home from just a yard out, but the celebrations were cut short as    it was ruled out for handball.

Anthony Martial doubled United’s advantage on the 58th minute after an outrageous chip deceived Foster and hit the back of the net.

United got their third goal of the game on the 75th minute after good individual work from Mason Greenwood, and the youngster managed to curl his left-footed effort into the top left corner of Foster’s goal.

Gerard Deulofeu had an effort from a free-kick on the 86th minute as the Hornets attempted a late-fightback, but it was easily collected by De Gea.

Manchester United brought on former Watford striker Odion Ighalo late on, and he almost came back to haunt the Hornets after a loose ball allowed him to go one-on-one with Foster, but he could only hit the post.

Watford are without a victory since January 12, and it doesn’t get any easier for Nigel Pearson’s men next weekend, with a trip to champions elect Liverpool coming on Saturday evening.

Picture courtesy of Watford FC

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Leave a comment



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.