A secondary school in Bushey was shut down early today after a chemical leak was found in one of the science laboratories.
After the spillage was spotted, the fire service came and sent in a specialist decontamination unit wearing hazmat suits to deal with the situation.
The school was evacuated and eventually closed for the day, with the leak being cleared and the area being made safe by 12:30pm. The offending chemical was nitric acid, which is highly corrosive.
A fire service spokesperson said: “Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service was called at 8:40am this morning to reports of a chemical leak at The Grange Academy in Bushey.
Two fire engines, from Watford and Garston fire stations, and a specialist chemical decontamination unit from Hemel Hempstead fire station, were sent to the scene, where crews found a container in a science laboratory store leaking nitric acid, affecting other chemicals in the store.
“The affected area was initially evacuated, and in consultation with the school principal the whole school was evacuated and closed for the day. Firefighters in hazmat suits entered the chemical store to contain and clear the spillage, and make the area safe. Crews had left the scene by 12:30pm.”
In a statement posted on Twitter, the Grange Academy has announced that it will be open as usual from tomorrow.
The school’s principal and it’s operators, Future Academies, have been contacted for comment.
Photo Credit: Google Maps