Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2022     Advertise with us     

BreakingYourLocalNews

BOOK BALANCING: Buckinghamshire councillors agree council tax increase of 4.99 per cent

 Published on: 19th March 2024   |   By: Darius Morgan   |   Category: Uncategorized

Buckinghamshire council announced its Medium Term Financial Plan, which sets out its budget for the next three years, last month.

Many councils across the UK are currently facing acute financial pressures, particularly in three key areas: social care for both adults and children, temporary accommodation for homeless people, and transport for vulnerable children to get to and from school. These services alone make up 71 per cent of Buckinghamshire Council’s budget, leaving only 29 per cent of the budget to pay for all the other services the council provides.

With council tax funding 80 per cent of the council’s net operating budget, councillors have agreed an increase in council tax of 4.99 per cent, or an extra £1.69 per week for the average Band D household.

This comes after the council confirmed that their offices at King George V House in Amersham will close and move to Amersham Library, located at the Chiltern Lifestyle Centre, in order to save costs. Staff who were based at King George V House moved to office space in High Wycombe.

Buckinghamshire Council Leader Martin Tett said: “This is the by far the hardest budget we’ve ever set, and the challenges facing us are acute. However, I’m pleased that we can balance the books over the next three years.

“This budget underpins our over-arching priorities of protecting the vulnerable, strengthening our communities, improving our environment and increasing prosperity.”

Photo credit: Richard Kelly

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

0 Comments

Leave a comment

*

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Top