Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2022     Advertise with us     

BreakingYourLocalNews

BIN BLAZE: Rickmansworth refuse van fire sparks calls for safer disposal of batteries

 Published on: 24th February 2023   |   By: Bryn Holmes   |   Category: Uncategorized

A fire in the back of a refuse lorry in Rickmansworth caused by a lithium battery has prompted calls for people to better dispose of electrical items.

Resident Katie Goulden spotted smoke billowing from the van during bin collections on Aldbury Road in Mill End on the morning of Wednesday, February 1. Driver Terry Hall grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the blaze.

Katie’s husband Boyd, an electrician by trade, also witnessed the incident, and told RICKYnews: “The refuse guy and Terry were real heroes. They told me afterwards that this is the third time something like this has taken place on their most recent rounds.

“These lithium batteries from electric scooters and nitrous oxide canisters are the big problem.

“The battery was improperly disposed of. It should have been taken to the nearest council refuse site, not placed in a bin.”

To find out more about how to properly dispose of electrical goods, please visit the Health & Safety Executive’s special webpage.

Photo Credit: Boyd Goulden

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

0 Comments

Leave a comment

*

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Advertise with our magazine
Top