Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2022     Advertise with us     


Wealdstone ease three past East Thurrock

 Published on: 8th April 2019   |   By: News Desk   |   Category: Wealdstone F.C

Wealdstone returned to winning ways this afternoon at the Vale, as they eased past East Thurrock to elevate themselves to seventh-place in the National League South; occupying a play-off position, with four matches remaining.

A brace from the exceptional Daniel Green, along with a goal from the dynamic Simon Mensah, ensured the Stone’s secured a valuable three points against the Rocks in their push for the end-of-season play-offs. 

Wealdstone produced the perfect start, taking the lead within 30 seconds of kick-off. David’s Pratt’s header found Green, who rifled a shot goal-bound from 25 yards; East Thurrock’s keeper Jack Giddens was unable to hold the ball, allowing it to roll through his legs, handing the Stones an early lead. 

The Stone’s came close to doubling their advantage in the seventh minute, as the lively Jeffrey Monakana struck a shot from 30 yards that sailed just over the crossbar.  

As the first half progressed, Wealdstone continued to press for another goal, with Green going agonisingly close in the 37th minute, rifling a brilliant shot from the left-hand side of the box, which was saved well by Giddens.

Monakana was in fine form all afternoon, proving an ever-present threat down the wing for the Stones.

In the 40th minute, he was nearly rewarded for his efforts, but his strike was cleared on the line by Ryan Scott, to keep the Rocks in the game. 

On the stroke of half time, Allarakhia produced one of his trademark mazy runs down the left wing.

After beating three East Thurrock defenders, he struck a near post shot, but Giddens pulled off a fine save. 

The Stones started the second half with intent, enjoying the lion’s share of possession, as they pushed to increase their lead.

In the 58th minute, Wealdstone were duly rewarded for their persistence, as the ever-dangerous Monakana produced a fantastic defence-splitting through-ball to find Green, who clinically dispatched a half-volley across Giddens into the net. 

As the second half advanced, the Stones continued to press for a third goal, in order to put the result beyond doubt. Simon Mensah, who had made an immediate impact since replacing an injured Jake Sheppard just before half time, produced a surging run towards the box, but was fouled by a Rocks’ defender. 

The resultant free kick was curled goal-bound by Tarryn Allarakhia in the 69th minute, with Giddens only able to parry the shot.

Mensah was quick to follow-up and convert for Wealdstone to take them into a commanding three-goal lead.

In the 74th minute, East Thurrock’s Amos Nasha prompted a fine save from Jonathan North, as his powerful effort well claimed by the Stones’ keeper.

Wealdstone, excellently marshalled by Captain, Jerome Okimo, held firm to secure a clean sheet and a vital three points.  

Next Saturday, the Stones travel to the Beveree Stadium to face sixteenth placed Hampton and Richmond Borough, in a 3pm kick-off. 

Photo courtesy of Dan Finill / Dfinill Photography

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Leave a comment



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.