Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2022     Advertise with us     


TOUGH EVENING: Watford FC held by Wycombe Wanderers despite Sarr opener

 Published on: 28th October 2020   |   By: Geraint Roberts   |   Category: Watford FC

Watford could only take a point away from struggling Wycombe Wanderers last night, despite Ismaila Sarr bagging his first goal of the season early in the second half.

Anthony Stewart equalised for Wycombe as they picked up their first point of the season against the Hornets, who remain in third place, seven points behind early leaders Reading.

The Chairboys almost had the perfect start when, just five minutes in, Scott Hogan put the ball in the back of the net, but luckily for Watford the linesman had raised his flag for offside.

Watford’s first chance of the came fell to Swedish international Ken Sema on the 24th minute after some brilliant link-up play between Tom Cleverley and Kiko Femenia, but Sema’s effort was well blocked.

A few minutes later it was Wycombe’s men who linked up well, with Adebayo Akinfenwa setting the ball up for Scott Kashket to strike which forced a brilliant save from Ben Foster to keep the score level.

Kashket and Akinfenwa were among the action once again a few minutes before half time when the two combined once more, this time it was Akinfenwa who had the goal at his mercy, but his effort went over the bar.

Watford had the ball in the back of the net themselves just before half time after Joao Pedro got on the end of Sarr’s cross, but the Brazilian was adjudged to have handled the ball.

The second half continued with Wycombe looking the more likely to take the lead, and David Wheeler almost did just that with a volley, but Foster pulled off another save to deny him.

However, just a minute later, it was the Hornets who took the lead after Femenia’s delightful cross found Sarr who nodded home his first goal of the season.

The Hornets’ lead only lasted 14 minutes though after Joe Jacobson’s corner met the head of Anthony Stewart, giving Foster no chance this time to keep the ball out.

Wycombe were pushing for a winner in the latter stages of the game after Kashket was sent racing away down the left once again, his drilled effort was on target but Foster was equal to it.

The Hornets almost stole all three points in the dying second of the game after the ball found substitute Glenn Murray in a crowded penalty area, but he couldn’t steer the ball home.

Watford FC remain in the play-off places after the result, but will feel they have missed an opportunity to take three points from a struggling Wycombe side, who were arguably the better team on the night.

Vladimir Ivic’s men are back in action on Saturday afternoon with another away trip, this time at Barnsley.

Picture credit: Watford FC

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Leave a comment



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.