In a response to the New Zealand terror attack last month, St Albans Islamic Centre has increased security and awareness at the mosque to make sure the community feels safe.
Akhtar Zaman, chairman of the mosque, has revealed to MyNews that security had to be heightened after people had shared their concerns about a similar attack.
The terror attack which resulted in 50 people being shot dead and 50 others injured during Friday prayer, filled him with “complete shock and sadness”.
He said: “Since the attack, we have been working with the police to ensure that our facilities are secure so everyone feels safe when visiting.
“The attack filled me with completed shock and sadness which is a view shared by the whole Muslim community.
“Some have shared their concerns about possible attacks on our mosque, but we, as a community are staying strong and are praying for those who were killed.”
The chairman has urged Muslims to be vigilant and to continue their faith in Islam.
He said: “Everyone has to be vigilant, however we cannot be coward. We have to continue in our faith and turn up to the mosque to pray.”
Over 600 people attended two emotional ceremonies that were held at the mosque to pay their respects for those who were killed.
Akhtar has also thanked the wider community who have shown their support since the attack.
He added: “We are part of a wider community that welcomes everybody. We have had a lot of response from locals of other religions who have offered bundles of support and we are working with them to make sure everyone works together. We thank the community for their support.”