A brave Croxley Green resident came to the rescue of a neighbour who was trapped in a house fire in the village earlier this month.
A fire broke out on April 15 at a first floor flat in the village. A working smoke alarm meant that neighbours quickly became aware of the situation and broke down a door to release the trapped occupants whilst the fire service were on their way.
Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue said: “We were called at 11.34pm on April 15 to reports of a first floor flat fire in Watford Road, Croxley Green, suspected persons trapped. Three fire appliances from Rickmansworth and Watford (2) attended.
“While on route to the incident, crews were informed that neighbours had forced entry to the flat to release the trapped occupants.
“Firefighters used two sets of breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet to extinguish the fire at just before midnight.
“This is a fantastic reminder of the benefit of having a working smoke alarm within your home as the residents were alerted to the presence of a fire and able to make their way downstairs before their escape route was compromised.”
Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service provides free Safe and Well visits to the community. For more information visit www.hertfordshire.gov or contact your local fire station for a visit.