Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2019     Advertise with us     


MORE QUESTIONS: VAR controversary as Watford lose 2-1 to Southampton  

 Published on: 30th November 2019   |   By: News Desk   |   Category: Watford FC

More VAR controversary will be the topic after this evening’s game as Southampton come back from behind to beat bottom of the table Watford FC.

It was a real game of two halves as Watford dominated the first 45 minutes, but a double substitution gave the home side a much-needed boost to lead their comeback.

But more questions for VAR will be asked to Premier League chiefs as there was a clear hand ball in the lead up to Southampton’s equaliser which wasn’t spotted by officials.

Hornets’ fans would have been delighted to see summer signing Ismalia Sarr on the starting line up and his first half performance was exactly what Watford FC have needed this season; a goalscorer.

Sarr could have scored a first half hattrick with the debutant looking dangerous everytime he got the ball.

Watford started the game off well with the first real chance falling to Sarr on the second minute, but his shot was saved comfortably by the keeper.

Every Watford chance went through Sarr which paid off on the 24th minute as Capoue played the ball over the top to Sarr who raced through and calmly smashed the ball into the net. 0-1.

It was that man again who nearly made it 0-2 after he sweetly caught a volley from a Holebas’ free-kick which was smartly saved by McCarthy.

It was all Watford in the first-half with Southampton looking like a bag of nerves at the back.

Sarr nearly made it two nil again on 54 minutes after weaving in and out of defenders and unleashing a powerful strike which went just over the bar.

An inspirational save by Ben Foster prevented Boufal from making it 1-1 as he tipped his header onto the bar.

As the pressure started to build, Watford’s defence became more shaky as Craig Cathcart made a last ditch clearance off the line, but two minutes later they cracked.

After a great run by Djenepo, Danny Ings converted from close-range giving Foster no chance. But looking at the replays, unlike VAR officials, the ball clearly comes off of Djenepo’s hand to take it past Holebas in the lead up to the goal. But the referee gives the goal as VAR didn’t call it back. 1-1.

Shortly after and the inevitable happened as free-kick specialist Ward-Prowse scored from just outside the box. 2-1.

Watford will feel hard done by losing today as they stay bottom of the league.

They next play Leicester City on Wednesday, December 4.

Picture courtesy of Watford FC 

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Leave a comment



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.