Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2022     Advertise with us     

BreakingYourLocalNews

MEMORY LANE: A walk through the history of Croxley Green

 Published on: 6th March 2023   |   By: Bryn Holmes   |   Category: Uncategorized

The history of Croxley dates back many centuries. With photos provided by the Croxley Green History Project, here we take a walk through the village’s past…

Stone’s Orchard
Originally a 12-acre space, the orchard was part of the Parrotts Estate. All that remains today is 3.5 acres. The Stone family, associated with the orchard for approximately 80 years, were tenant farmers and produced a wide variety of fruit, but the orchard is remembered mostly for its cherries.

The family business also covered the delivery of wood and coal. Horses, cows and pigs were kept here until the 1960s, when the tenancy was relinquished.

War memorial
In November 1919, villagers raised money to purchase an oak tree and it was planted opposite New Road. Granite blocks from Dickinson’s Mill were placed in front of the tree and engraved with the names of those who died in the First World War.

Railings were put up around the war memorial to protect it from animals grazing on The Green. The memorial now also bears the names of those who were killed in the Second World War and the Korean War.

More than 400 Croxley men served in the First World War, at least 100 of whom were killed. To commemorate the centenary of their sacrifice, Croxley Green Residents’ Association purchased a memorial bench for The Green in 2019. This now stands near the memorial.

All Saints’ Church
Situated at the south end of The Green, All Saints’ Church was consecrated in 1872. The original building is on the north side and the church was extended in 1907/8. During the Second World War, All Saints’ suffered much damage when a parachute mine landed in nearby Croxley Hall woods.

Dickinson Square
In 1830, John Dickinson opened a paper mill on Common Moor, beside the Grand Union Canal. As the village grew, more housing was needed for the influx of mill workers, and in 1887, these cottages were built on a field known as Milestone Field, named after the milestone on Watford Road.

Yorke Road School
After opening in 1875 with 71 pupils aged five to 13, the village school became so overcrowded by 1894 that the older boys were moved out to a new school.

Yorke Road School closed in 1974 and the building was bought by Leukaemia Research. It fell into disrepair, but a local campaign saved it from demolition and it was restored by builder Paul O’Reilly in 2014.

New Road
Formerly known as Cow Lane, this road was used to take cattle down to Common Moor for grazing. There were milking sheds on Scots Hill used by Nabbie Sears whose cattle were grazed in Sarratt Road.

The large building on the corner of Dickinson Square was the Guildhouse, originally called The Institute. This was built in 1904 as a place of entertainment for mill workers and the community.

The Green
In 1897, an oak tree was planted adjacent to All Saints’ Church to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. This started a tradition of tree planting to mark national events.

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

0 Comments

Leave a comment

*

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Top