Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2019     Advertise with us     

BreakingYourLocalNews

LOOKING BACK: A long-lost cinema treasure of Northwood past

 Published on: 6th January 2022   |   By: Bryn Holmes   |   Category: Uncategorized

Designed by architect A. Douglas Clare, who passed away one month before its completion, the Rex Cinema in Northwood Hills screened movies for nearly 37 years before closing in 1973. It was located on Pinner Road

Originally built for Odeon Cinemas, after the original architect’s death it was sold to independent chain Shipman & King, eventually opening on December 28, 1936, its first films being All In starring English actor Ralph Lynn and Border Flight starring Hollywood actress Frances Farmer.

Built with an Art Deco style, the main auditorium had a balcony and stalls. It played films at the same time of as a number of other Shipman & King theatres at the time, such as Ruislip’s Rivoli Cinema and Berkhamsted’s own Rex Cinema.

Closing in September of 1973, the last film the cinema showed was Roger Moore’s debut as James Bond, Live and Let Die. After being demolished, a Somerfield supermarket was built in its place. This itself is now also gone, replaced by a block of flats and shops in 2018.

Picture credit Woody London

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

0 Comments

Leave a comment

*

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Advertise with our magazine
Top