Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2022     Advertise with us     


JAIL TIME: Watford man sentenced for role in kidnap and torture

 Published on: 30th October 2023   |   By: News Bulletin   |   Category: Uncategorized

A Watford man has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for his role in the kidnap and torture of a man from Cardiff.

The case has been described as one of the UK’s most complicated kidnap investigations in recent times.

At around 4.30pm on December 11, 2020, a 22-year-old man was taken from Clifton Street, Splott, to Odet Court in Pendwyallt Road, Whitchurch.

Unbeknown to him, a kidnap plan was already underway by an organised crime group to extort money from him and his friends, which involved holding them at gun and knife point, and included the demand of a £50,000 ransom payment to ensure his safe return.

At 7.57pm that day. South Wales Police received a 999 call and the force’s Major Crime Investigation Team launched an investigation.

The victim, who was known to a member of the London-based gang, was then transported to a separate location in Hemel Hempstead, where he continued to be beaten, handcuffed, kept at knife point and under threat of a trained attack dog.

As a result of a joint investigation with several police forces and the National Crime Agency, the victim was safely rescued from the address in Hemel Hempstead at 11.30pm on December 12, 2020.

During a court hearing, the victim said: “The police saved my life. I don’t believe I would have been alive unless the police came that day. I’m 100 per cent sure. I don’t know what the reason they wanted me dead, but I’m 100 per cent sure I would not be alive.”

Nearly three years later and following three trials, nine men have been convicted.

Micaiah Marley, 30, from Watford, was given 15 years in prison plus four years extended sentence.

Isaac, 66, from Hemel Hempstead, was also convicted of kidnap and false imprisonment and received six years.

During the investigation, weapons including six knives, five live rounds of ammunition, a handgun, a grenade smoke bomb, and a taser disguised as a mobile telephone were seized.

Detectives recovered more than 400 hours of CCTV from across five police force areas and took more than 1,000 statements.

Detective Superintendent Darren George, head of South Wales Police Major Crime Investigation Team, said: “Kidnap and the criminal use of firearms in South Wales is extremely rare and when they do happen, as this organised crime group have found out, we are determined to go after those involved.

“This has been one of the UK’s most complicated kidnap investigations in recent times and it has taken nearly three years to convict these nine individuals.

“We hope our investment into this crime and sentences handed down send a clear message to those intent on bringing this sort of violence to our streets.

“We will relentlessly pursue you with everything at our disposal and you will go to jail.”

Photo credit: South Wales Police

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Leave a comment



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.