Chorleywood boxer Elliott Matthews will have to put the biggest fight of his career on the back burner until the end of the year.
Matthews had been due to take on Nigerian Rasheed Abolaji at York Hall, Bethnal Green , London on September 29 but the bout has now been postponed till December.
In a message to his supporters, Matthews explained the reasons for the delay.
He said: “Due to a cut sustained in sparring last week my Commonwealth fight is postponed until December. To say I’m gutted is an understatement. New December date announced soon. Tickets can be refunded or transferred to the new date – just email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for your understanding and support.”
Before he sustained the cut, Matthews says he was looking forward to the fight and claimed a good result would bode well for the future.
He commented: “I have the chance now to fulfil a dream career ambition by winning a major title and cementing my path for more, lots of options. I get great support from sponsors Gibbs Gillespie, David Lloyd, JK Rail, Shannon Rail and Watford FC.”
For more information and the rearranged date, go to www.elliottmatthews.com