Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2024     Advertise with us     

BreakingYourLocalNews

‘HARM AND DISRUPTION’: Watford man confesses to being part of Russian military group

 Published on: 30th August 2024   |   By: The Newsdesk   |   Category: Uncategorized

A Watford man has admitted to claiming to be a member of a proscribed Russian military group, after previously denying any involvement.

On Friday, August 16, Piotr Kucharski, 49, of The Glebe, was convicted of professing to be a member of the Wagner Group.

The Wagner Group emerged during the Donbas War and played a significant role in the Russian invasion of Ukraine from 2014 to 2015. In September last year, the UK government proscribed the group as a terrorist organisation. This means it is a criminal offence to belong to or actively support the group.

Following an investigation by the Eastern Region Special Operations Unit (ERSOU), detectives found that Kucharski had attended a combat and re-enactment event in Suffolk in October 2023, despite previously being banned from the group. He threatened participants, said he was a member of Wagner Group, and slashed the air with a knife.

Officers from Suffolk Police arrested him for a public order offence and possession of a bladed article. He was subsequently re-arrested under terrorism legislation after officers found Wagner Group badges sown to his camouflage jacket.

The investigation was then passed to ERSOU’s Counter Terrorism Policing unit. Kucharski was charged with professing to be a member of a proscribed organisation, contrary to section 11 (1) of the Terrorism Act 2000.

At a Central Criminal Court hearing, Kucharski pleaded guilty to the offence. He is due to be sentenced at the same court on Friday, November 1.

Hannah Wilkinson, head of ERSOU, said: “Kucharski was clearly intent on causing alarm and distress by feigning membership of Wagner Group, and he was promptly arrested after concerned members of the public raised the alarm about his behaviour.

“There’s no indication that Kucharski fought in Ukraine or was actually a member of Wagner Group, however pertaining to have done so is also a severe offence, particularly given he was very overt with his support for the banned group.

“Our teams work diligently to keep our region safe from the threat of terrorism, and we will continue to ensure those looking to cause harm and disruption in our communities are brought to justice.”

Photo credit: Google Maps

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

0 Comments

Leave a comment

*

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Keep up to date and follow us:
Top