A football club president from Chipperfield had his life saved by the quick-thinking actions of players and staff after suffering a cardiac arrest on the pitch.
Martyn Dicker was standing in as a linesman for a recent senior reserves game at the Chipperfield Corinthians’ home ground when he collapsed.
Players and coaches rushed to the aid of Martyn and managed to grab a defibrillator from the clubhouse to fire an electric shock into his body.
Paramedics were on the scene immediately and took Martyn to Harefield Hospital where he had surgery to have a stent fitted. The surgery was successful and it wasn’t long before Martyn was back to work and carrying out a wide range of duties associated with the club, including football coach.
Martyn, 56, said: “You don’t expect this kind of thing to happen to you. I didn’t really remember any of it. I looked up from the pitch and saw all these people above me saying different things, but I don’t recall the defibrillator or anything about the electric shock.
“I heard that the chances of survival with a defibrillator is four times greater, so I was very pleased that one was available nearby. The people on the ground saved my life and I think I’m very lucky. Who knows what would’ve happened if the defibrillator hadn’t been around.”
Picture courtesy of @BryanRoberts72