Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2022     Advertise with us     


Faulty appliances causing one fire a week in Hertfordshire 

 Published on: 5th February 2018   |   By: Jason Allen   |   Category: Uncategorized

Faulty white goods, such as tumble dryers and dishwashers are causing an average of one fire every week across the county, according to figures published by Hertfordshire County Council’s Fire and Rescue Service.

Tumble dryers are the number one culprit, causing 25 fires in the last two years. Following closely behind are washing machines (24 fires) and dishwashers (20 fires).

In response Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service are asking residents to be safer in seconds by taking the simple step of registering their fridges, freezers and washing machines on the new streamlined version of

Developed by the Association of Manufacturers of Domestic Appliances (AMDEA), the portal now optimised for smartphone makes registration of over 60 leading brands of old and new appliances faster and easier via mobile, tablet or PC.

Terry Hone, Cabinet Member for Community Safety, said: “White goods are one of the biggest causes of house fires, but fewer than half of us register for important safety warnings and we know that recalled models are still in use as a result. We’re asking residents to register their appliances with this government-backed scheme and take a few simple steps to reduce the risk of fire.

“It might be convenient to put the dishwasher on overnight or to put a load in the tumble dryer when you go out, but if you’re asleep or not in you won’t spot the signs that something’s going wrong and you could end up dealing with a serious fire as a result.”

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Leave a comment



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.