Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2019     Advertise with us     

BreakingYourLocalNews

THE WHITE BRIDGE: Renovation of historic Hemel Hempstead landmark completed

 Published on: 18th December 2020   |   By: Geraint Roberts   |   Category: Uncategorized

Dacorum Borough Council has completed a renovation project to restore the Grade II-listed cast iron bridge in Gadebridge Park.

The White Bridge has been restored back to its former glory after a three-month project which involved addressing safety issues and restoring and repainting the historic iron work.

The bridge dates back to around 1840 when the area was part of the Gadebridge House estate.

The carriageway to the house passed through a ford, so owner of the house Sir Astley Paston Cooper commissioned local iron founder, Joseph Cranstone, to build the bridge.

With its design resembling bamboo, it echoes the Chinese style popular at that time.

Gadebridge House, which was on the west side of the park, became a school in 1914.

The school moved out in 1963, as part of the New Town development plan and is now Westbook Hay School, at Boxmoor.

The house was demolished, and Kodak built a Marketing Education Centre on the site.

This was demolished in 1995 to make way for housing at Sovereign Heights.

Councillor Alan Anderson, Dacorum Borough Council portfolio holder for Environmental Services, said: “The White Bridge is a historic and well-loved feature in Gadebridge Park and it is fantastic to see it fully restored to its former glory.”

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

0 Comments

Leave a comment

*

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Top