The great-grandsons of a woman, which the Henderson Hall was built in memory of, visited Abbots Langley last month.
Richard Henderson and his wife Annie from Warehorne in Kent and Harry Henderson from West Woodhay in Berkshire stood by their great-grandmother’s tomb for the very first time as they discussed their family history with Trevor Baker from the Abbots Langley Local History Society.
Elvira Henderson died in childbirth in December 1901 and a year later her husband Henry William Henderson presented a village hall to Abbots Langley which has served the community for well over 100 years.
Today the hall has undergone a renaissance thanks to the involvement of the Henderson Hub which was established by a group of local residents who wanted to encourage involvement in the arts using the village hall as its base. It offers local residents space in which to partake in a range of visual, literary and performing arts and it includes Elvira’s Foyer where residents can relax with refreshments.
The Hendersons’ visit was rounded off with a preview of an exhibition which explores the origins of the Henderson family, their involvement in our village, the tragic death of Elvira at the age of 31, and the surprising return of her son Ronald in 1956.
The story was on display in the Henderson Hub Gallery until Sunday, July 29.
Picture courtesy of Mike Quinton