Firefighters have reminded people of the importance of smoke alarms after one helped alert a woman to a kitchen fire in her home on Dean Croft Road, Eastcote last month.
Fire engines from Ruislip and Harrow fire stations raced to the scene in the early hours of December 31 to tackle the blaze. They believe the fire started when a pan was left on the hob and the smoke alarm sounded waking the woman who called emergency services.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued her from the house and she was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service.
Firefighter Clifford Meane, who was at the scene, said the incident shows that smoke alarms save lives.
He commented: “Thankfully, the smoke alarm woke the woman up and she was able to call us. It’s really easy to forget about pots and pans simmering away, especially in the evening and so never leave your cooking unattended.
“The fire damaged a small section of the kitchen but it did create a lot of smoke which can be very dangerous. This shows how important smoke alarms are but also heat detectors for kitchens. These are designed for use in the kitchen and go off when a certain temperature is reached.
“As a minimum you should have at least one smoke alarm fitted on the ceiling of every floor in your home, however, we recommend you fit one in every room you regularly use as well as in the hallway.
“Do not place smoke alarms in kitchens or bathrooms as the steam can damage the unit or unintentionally activate it. Ideal locations for smoke alarms include rooms where electrical equipment is left switched on, such as living rooms or bedrooms.”
Firefighters were called at 2.50am and the fire was under control at 3.21am