A dog was rushed to the vets after stepping on a broken wine bottle in Rickmansworth Aquadrome.
Nicola Barker Fawssett was out walking her son’s dog Wilson, known to the family as Willy, around the Aquadrome when he stepped on a broken wine bottle in the river.
Nicola said: “My son turned around and the river was flowing red, a 1cm cut clipped a vein and an artery.
“If we hadn’t immediately applied a tourniquet made of socks and not rushed him to the Pets at Home vet, who immediately operated, he would have died.
“Rubbish is no joke, please take it home this summer.”
A spokesman for the RSPCA said: “Litter is a hazard to wildlife and pets and we would urge people to think about how they dispose of their litter.
“Every year, we receive thousands of calls about litter-related incidents which are all very preventable if rubbish is disposed of properly and responsibly.
“We would encourage people to recycle and reuse as much as possible and if you’re not going to use it again, please put it in a bin.”
Nicola has since confirmed Wilson is recovering from his injuries.
She said: “I want to thank all the Companion Care Vets staff at Pets at Home as they were truly amazing, especially John Hosking.
“John told us that without surgery and internal stitches to Wilsons artery, he would not have stopped bleeding and would have bled out.
“The operation was the first time he has ever been without a member of the family. He is a huge part of all our lives, and he has given us more than we can ever thank him for.
“He is currently being spoilt on homemade dog chews and lots of cuddles.”