Nominations are now open for the Mayor’s Pride Awards 2017, held to celebrate extraordinary people and outstanding organisations in St Albans that make a positive contribution to the local community. Ensure these inspiring individuals and worthy organisations get the recognition they deserve by putting them forward to receive an award. To make a nomination, simply complete a form online at: www.stalbans.gov.uk/mayorspride.The deadline for nominations is Monday 30 January 2017. The categories this year are as follows:
- Community Champion of the Year This award aims to reward people who have given up their spare time and gone out of their way to help others in the community.
- Cultural Innovation Award Creative people or groups whose ideas or achievements are an inspiration to others can be nominated for this award.
- Young Person of Distinction
- This award provides an opportunity to commend an exceptional child or young person for their talent, positivity, energy or strength of character.
- Community Project of the Year
- Recognition will be given to a project that has made a real difference to local people or has helped make the area more vibrant.
- Community Orientated Business of the Year
- This award is for businesses in St Albans District that are working with the public or voluntary sector on initiatives to benefit the community.
- Environmental Champion of the Year
- A group or individual showing innovation or commitment to improving the local environment will be honoured with this award.
- Voluntary Sector Award
- Recognition will be given to a group or individual for making a real difference to the community through their work in the voluntary sector.
- Inclusive Communities Award
- This award will be given to a community initiative that unites people of different ethnic, faith or socio-economic backgrounds.
In addition to the above awards, the Mayor of the City and District of St Albans, Cllr Frances Leonard, will also hand out her own special award. The Mayor’s Recognition Award will be given to a person or group that has made a significant impression on the Mayor during her year of office. Cllr Frances Leonard, the Mayor of the City and District of St Albans, said: “These awards celebrate the real stars of our community, whether they are dedicated volunteers, local charities or innovative organisations. Please show your support for their hard work in the community by nominating them for these special annual awards.” There is no limit to the number of nominations that can be made. People can nominate the voluntary group or organisation they work for to receive an award, but we are unable to accept self-nominations for categories aimed at individuals. A shortlist of finalists will be unveiled by the Mayor in February 2017. All finalists will be invited to a celebratory evening with the Mayor in March 2017 when the awards will be presented to the winners. More information about the Mayor’s Pride Awards is available on St Albans City and District Council’s website at: www.stalbans.gov.uk/mayorspride. If you need any assistance in completing a nomination form, please contact email@example.com or call the team on 01727 819311.