Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2019     Advertise with us     


Watford 2-1 Tottenham

 Published on: 2nd September 2018   |   By: Noah Abrahams   |   Category: Watford FC

In an all-round perfect afternoon for the Hornets, one can only say that the weather reflected the mood, and indeed the football on the pitch.

There was end to end action from start to finish in the day’s late kick off, with an eleven minute Dele Alli looping header, sparking the first real attempt of the game.

Watford who went into the fixture un beaten, where determined to keep it that way, responding to all Spurs attacks in a calm and composed fashion.

It didn’t take long for Gracia’s team to put some pressure on Vorm’s goal though, as shortly after Alli’s effort, a Daryl Janmaat ball in meant that fellow Englishman Troy Deeney came close to scoring, heading just over the bar in the 18th minute. 

The Golden Boys seemed determined to press and make the Tottenham players feel uncomfortable, however, the break was a serious threat today and with positivity set in the minds of those playing in yellow, tracking back was at times difficult.

Efforts from Lucas and Erikson had the home fans worried before the break, but a combination of luck and some well worked defending meant that the second half was anyone’s to play for.

Unchanged going into the remaining 45 minutes, both teams looked threatening, however, it was the visitors who broke the deadlock just ten minutes after the half time interval.

A mess at the back resulted in what was a sloppy goal to concede from a Watford point of view, the 54th minute one which Ben Foster will probably want to forget. A Lucas Moura cross, deflected off Abdoulaye Doucouré and found the back of the net.

Unlike in the past, where a Watford side may have given up, todays did the stark opposite and immediately went about putting things right.

The crosses where coming into the Spurs box thick and fast and as the game approached its final third, one felt that the tie still had more left in it.

Deeney’s strength in the 66th minute lead to a fantastic ball in, mistakenly finding Toby Alderweireld whose header very nearly resulted in an own goal. The up-right coming to the Belgium’s eventual rescue.

Hugo Loris was clearly missed by the Tottenham defenders, with a lack of communication from the back, resulting in a clear inability to defend crosses.

A fast paced Jose Holebas’ freekick proved to be the final the final straw on the camel’s back, leading to a much deserved equaliser from Watford.

The 69th minute was the turning point as fan favourite Troy Deeney met the ball and found the bottom corner whilst doing so.

A goal which provided huge relief for all of the 23 odd thousand fans in attendance. 

Having come as far as to equalise against their North London opponents, the Hornets went for the kill.

Panic was clearly something which riddled those playing in white and following an earlier header from Troy Deeney, Northern Irish international Craig Cathcart met a perfect Holebas corner, firing home with his head and handing Pereyra his second assist of the game. 

The bullet header was enough to see off a memorable win as Watford kept in tact their un beaten record this season, beating Tottenham Hotspur for the first time ever in the Premier League and pushing the Hornets to third in the table.

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Leave a comment



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Advertise with our magazine