Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2019     Advertise with us     


Electric blanket sparks house blaze 

 Published on: 28th October 2018   |   By: Rebecca Dundon   |   Category: Uncategorized

An electric blanket is being blamed for a fire that ripped through a house in Chalfont St Peter. 

Fire crews were called out when the blaze started, on Lambscroft Way, just before 10pm when the homeowner switched on the blanket to warm the bed and it caught alight. 

Watch Commander Andrew Holtzhausen explained what happened: “Just before 10pm they heard a loud bang and went upstairs to investigate, but were met with smoke and so they dialled 999. When we arrived the entire first floor was smoke logged by a fully developed fire in the bedroom. 

“Although the first floor of this property has been significantly damaged, we were able to deal with it quickly, rapidly deploying crew members in breathing apparatus to tackle the seat of the fire, while our colleagues from Beaconsfield were able to initiate positive pressure ventilation to clear the smoke and our working area.

“The prompt action taken by the occupants in calling us, and the responding crew, enabled us to quickly stop the fire developing further.

“There were no smoke alarms present in the property and if this incident had occurred when the occupants were sleeping we could have been faced with a horrible situation. As it was, we were able to initiate a home fire risk check once the initial fire was dealt with, and provide the residents with advice.”

Firefighters used four sets of breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet, a thermal imaging camera and a PPV fan to tackle the fire and smoke that resulted after an electric blanket caught fire in the bedroom of a house in Lambscroft Way, Chalfont St Peter.

They advise checking your electric blankets before using them.

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Leave a comment



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Advertise with our magazine