Pink Pages     MyLocalHero 2019     Advertise with us     


BMW used in attempted murder of scooter rider

 Published on: 30th April 2018   |   By: Ryan Gray   |   Category: Uncategorized

A BMW was driven into a scooter on a Watford road in an attempt to murder the rider, a jury heard today (Monday).

Jamie Clarke, who is in his 20s, was thrown from his Gilera Runner 125 in North Approach Road.

He suffered leg injuries that were so bad a witness thought they had been severed.

The prosecution at St Albans crown court allege John Boyle-Matcham deliberately drove his father’s black BMW into Mr Clark’s silver and grey scooter after an earlier encounter between the two at traffic lights at the junction of St Albans Road and Garston Lane.

John Boyle-Matcham, 23, of St Albans Road, Watford denies attempted murder and an alternative charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent on Monday 28 August 2017.

The jury of six men and six women have been told he has pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of causing grievous bodily harm.

Prosecutor Max Hardy said the collision happened just before 6pm as Jamie Clarke was riding in a north easterly direction on North Approach Road and John Boyle-Matcham was heading alone in the opposite direction on the small two lane road. The weather was fine and it was daylight, he said.

CCTV footage from camera at the Imam Hussein Foundation was played to the jury which showed the BMW striking the scooter, sending Mr Clarke in the air.

Mr Hardy said: “The prosecution say the BMW car was used in an attempt to kill a young man.

“He was very seriously injured and was taken by helicopter to St George’s hospital in Tooting where he was an in-patient for two months. He had multiple bouts of surgery and spent two weeks of intensive care.”

Mr Hardy went on: “John Boyle-Matcham manoeuvred the BMW into the oncoming lane. He was trying to hit Jamie Clark.

“After the collision, he braked before driving off. He did not get out and go to Jamie Clark’s aid.  He said he stopped in panic and drove off not knowing what to do. He did not go to his aid or telephone an ambulance.

“He drove the damaged black BMW to a lay-by and then on foot walked to a van which travelled back to the scene of the collision.  It was to establish what was going on. ”

The driver of a white Nissan Juke car saw what happened, stopped and called 999. She initially thought Mr Clark’s legs had been severed as she could seen bone and muscle sticking up.

Mr Clark was conscious and told the police who was driving the car. It was later found abandoned in a cul-de-sac in Falcon Way with serious damage to the front offside.

At 11 minutes past eight that evening John Boyle-Matcham dialled 999 and told the police that the bike had pulled out at him and he had panicked. He was arrested and tested negative for drink and drugs.

In police interviews he said the collision was not intended and he was really sorry about what happened.

He denied there had been an encounter earlier that day at the traffic lights.

Case proceeding

Sign up to get weekly local news updates & offers:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Leave a comment



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Advertise with our magazine